It's time to write down how I configure my Alsa sound card on my Dell 640m. Next time I won't bother much time in Googling and trying this way and that...
- Update Kernel by using:
[root@localhost ~]# yum install kernel ;
Or: Download the latest kernel from Software Updater, like kernel-smp-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5.i686.rpm ;
- No need to re-compile the new kernel. Just install the rpm package by using Software Updater.
- Download the latest Alsa Util and Lib package from Software Updater, then install them.
- We can get the system infomation by using uname -a.
[root@localhost ~]# uname -a Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp #1 SMP Mon Sep 11 01:32:34 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Restart and switch to the latest version of the Fedora Core. That is Linux 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp. Note that smp means Duo Core system.
- The sound panel should be un-muted and we use HDA-Intel (Alsa Mixer). We can test the sound by using:
[root@localhost ~]# system-config-soundcard
1. Hardware Installer: Configure the Alsa Audio Controller [EB/OL].